Events - Vestiges
-6000 to -2000 B.C.
Cut or polished stone implements, megaliths, springs.
-2000 to -800 B.C.
Fortified grounds at Escoalier.
-800 to-100 B.C.
Gallic tombs, remains of dwellings, postholes and pits.
Datable archeological material shows that the Romans frequented the area around Mauriac from the first century B.C. An important Roman road goes across the nearby town of Le Vigean.
Upper Middle Ages
5th to 8th centuries
As early as the 7th century a gold coin (one third of a gold sol, marked «Moriaco Vic»). A primitive Merovingian church or else a much more ancient edifice.
9th and 10th centuries
The Sens chronicle tells of the construction of St. Peter's Church, Carolingian, about 825, after the division of Charlemagne's empire.
The Carolingian monastery having suffered recent devastation, the monks undertook the construction of the Romanesque church (well under way in 1108).
In 1105 the privileges accorded to Sens over its dependant monastery were confirmed. From 1105 to 1110 the construction of the Romanesque church of Notre-Dame-des-Miracles was in progress.
Les Anglais pénètrent dans notre région, y séjournent de 1357 à 1387 et font de nombreux ravages.
Dean Pierre de Balsac restored the cloister galleries and had the gate-tower built.
In 1560, the Jesuits created one of the first Jesuit colleges in France.
The monastery, in a state of extreme poverty and debauchery, was saved by the Reform of Saint Maur. It was the monks of Saint Maur who build the western wing and added an upper floor to the all the main cloister buildings as well as to Saint Benedict's Chapel.
A new period of decline began. The Revolution put an end to life in Saint Peter's Monastery. On July 11, 1819 Mayor Grasset presented a project for a town hall which was to be built with stones from the demolition of the finest Romanesque church in Haute-Auvergne.